Sustainability of Innovation spaces
== Different Funding models for Innovation Spaces ==
- Membership based - In this model each member / space user is charged a fee to use the space .
- Fee for service - In this model anyone is free to use the space and only charged for the services they receive from the spaces (could be using machines or something else)
- Grants - In this model the space costs are taken care by funding through grants ( government or private) . Thus enable the spaces to provide free membership and services
- In kind - In this model spaces could running based on In kind support from communities , members .
Spaces could also be using a mix of any of the above models to run.
== Estimating a budget ==
- Take into account all costs including the smallest ones
- Grant Providers prefer proposal which are well-thought-through for sustainability
- Compare proposals of a similar nature while estimating. It would probably be a good idea to propose budgets similar to other proposals.
- Create a proposal repository for spaces to share their successful proposals with others worldwide?
== Existing problems in funding Innovation spaces ==
- Problem: Kenya’s grants are <$10,000... funding sources turn us evil?
- UN-OSHA - international grant
- Groups request for too little money, and get rejected for feasibility
- Problem: Public education doesn’t include tech education -> innovation spaces.
- Problem: Funding for projects but not for people (salaries)
- Ford foundation - figuring out that people need to be paid and organizations know best about what to do with their money.