For those looking for the true cost t-shirt, they are sold out.
Connecting this wiki with a forum (such as Reddit) is essential for in-depth dialog (if enough people want this).
The aim of this wiki is to begin organizing product and service information/intelligence about the water, energy, human labor, toxins, and production practices that go into the products and services offered throughout the world.
Imagine true cost information for all products and services available via text messaging/SMS (text a code for each product & service) and, of course, via ’smartphone.’
Eventually, public kiosks in malls, public spaces, etc. A mobile & public encyclopedia service revealing the "open supply chains" and the costs beyond the mere monetary value and "Made in ___."
A text messaging system can be created immediately as well as other mobile options such as QR code stickers placed on a series of products where research has been done for each product and uploaded to the link of each QR code.
- Huge Gaps in Gov’s Knowledge About Chemicals in Everyday Products
- NEW: "Blockchain" for transparency of supply chains - link
Someday we may be able to access the following through a mobile handset about any product while pointing to superior alternatives:
- Known toxins
- Chemicals corporations use without disclosing research about the chemicals (secrecy)
- Use of child and ’slave’ labor throughout production
- Tax avoidance & amount of tax subsidies
- Travel/migration of product’s life cycle
Water & Bottled Water
- Water Footprint Network
- Energy implications of bottled water (pdf)
- True Costs of Bottled Water
- Video: What happens to plastic bottles? (not a great script, doesn’t cite sources, but decent)
- We Waste How Much Water On Coal?
- The True Price of Fiji Water
- Water use in food and agriculture
- Weed killer chemicals in drinking water
- Documentary: The Price of Sugar (narrated by Paul Newman) - about the slave conditions in the Dominican Republic’s sugar plantations of the Vicini family. While this movie was being made, the American government imported most of its sugar from the Dominican Republic. Workers are smuggled in from Haiti and there is a lot of hatred against Haitians. The DR gov claimed that this movie was part of a "smear campaign" (Wikipedia entry) and the Vicini family did what it could to stop it being screened in France. Another sugar family (in Florida) is the Fanjul family. Here’s a March 2015 article about the Fanjuls, political connections, and the Everglades.
- Domincan Watchdog’s section on sugar and check out the connections map (2012).
- Documentary: Sugar Babies
- DominicanSugar.org - Domincan sugar industry’s website stating that the US State Dept report is full of errors.
- Analysis: The Water Footprint of Cotton Consumption(.pdf)
- True Cost of Clothing ("Old Navy large t-shirt")
- BBC’s "tracking the true cost of cotton"
- White Gold: The True Cost of Cotton (7:45 video) & accompanying document
- NPR’s 5-part audio series "the world in a t-shirt"
- Energy & Water Consumption for a Cotton T-Shirt & graphic
- Cotton Process Resources ("from field to fabric")
- Shopping for Sweat: The Human Cost of a Two-Dollar T-Shirt (Cambodia) and audio interview
- "Full Cost Accounting" Wikipedia Entry
- Overview of the "True Cost" Meme
- True cost accounting at "Lexicon of Sustainability"
- Groups pursuing true cost accounting (via FoodTank.com)
- Source Map
- Ecoinvent database
- The Observatory of Economic Complexity (previously "The Product Space")
- Meet the Man Who Makes Your iPhone
- Swiss Centre for Life-cycle Inventories
- Twinkie, Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients in Processed Foods are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated Into What America Eats
- Twinkie Deconstructed(and author video) and see this Twinkie Nexus graphic
- Video of talk by Richard Locke, author of The Promise and Limits of Private Power: Promoting Labor Standards in a Global Economy
- Video: "Manufactured Landscapes"
- "Real Costs" Firefox Add-On
- "How Stuff Is Made" NYU Project
- Database of Chinese Made Products
- TV show "How Its Made"
- Article on Panamanian man who alerted warning to Chinese made toothpaste hazard
- W.I.S.E.R. network who ’could’ set a standard of "true cost" accounting awareness
- Science News article on Wealth of Nations related to data on networks of product relations (requires subscription, may be able to find elsewhere)
- Amusing video-animation with the theme of processes involved
- "Grass Commons" ’social-minded’ data tools
- "Story of Stuff" (over 4 million viewers)
- The Hidden Cost of War
- Books sold related to true cost:
- The True Cost of Chinese Competitive Advantage
- The Three Trillion Dollar War: The True Cost of the Iraq Conflict
- Lives Per Gallon: The True Cost of Our Oil Addiction
- Papertrails: From Trees to Trash--The True Cost of Paper
- Travels of a T-Shirt in the Global Economy & the author on CSPAN bookTV
- True Cost of Nuclear Energy
- BBC’s "The Cost of..."
- BBC’s "tracking the true cost of coffee"
- Information from barcodes sent to your mobile device (photos have been removed)
- China’s High Tech Misery--factory working conditions report by the National Labor Committee(Feb. 2009)
- True cost of packaging
- SMS/Mobile text messaging’s true pricing
- Partial true cost of a cheeseburger (more "carbon" related)
- Hidden Costs of Energy: Unpriced Consequences of Energy Production and Use and related link
- Field to Market tool
- Real cost of prisons weblog
- Six Products, Six Carbon Footprints (Wall St Journal)
- Life cycle assessment tool
- EcoFX Wiki
- True cost of printer ink ($2,700/gallon)
- Brazilian Amazon: Independent Review Highlights the True Costs of Belo Monte Dam
- Price of Labor: Video by Journeyman Films of Thailand electronics factory
- Documentary on the world flower industry "A Blooming Business"
- "True cost clearinghouse"(not as large a resource as it sounds)
- The Cargo Chain (Center on Urban Pedagogy, pdf)
- Rare Earth Elements: The Global Supply Chain
- Coffee transparency (positive list)
- "Vitamin water" (the dark side of "vitamin water")
- War cost in Fallujah, Iraq 2005-2009
- True cost of coal mural
- World Cup
- Coltan video (capacitors from the Congo)
- “War on drugs” funds taking away from countering human trafficking
- Shoes (how green is my sneaker?)
- Brazil and carbon credits human cost
- Embalming and what it does to the environment
- The Mattress Racket -- Why you pay more than you should
- Paper used by Dunkin Donuts, BK, KFC & Indonesian deforestation
- Reviews on toxins, true cost
- Asbestos trade
List would consist of these categories + sub-catagories listing specific models, types, etc (eventually in alphabetical order or priority)
Meats (fed corn vs. grass & hay)
Cars, trucks, vehicles
Marijuana (foreign grown murder rate versus homegrown)
Beer, wine, alcohol
Fast food & Health (excess sugar, salt, fat effects)
Wind power turbine
Solar power panels
US Department of Defense (jets, missiles, bullets, tungsten, copper, zinc, aluminum, bauxite, manganese, chromium, petroleum, etc)